Whom Should Pay?
What is Zakat and Whom to Pay It?
Islam is a religion that gives the message of love and peace. It wants its followers to live in peace and harmony in the world along with people of other religions and assist each other in making the world a better place. It is this moto of making the world a better place and helping others that Islam emphasizes on charity.
In Islam, charity holds such a great place that it is an obligation on Muslims in the form of Zakat. In Islam, Zakat is one of the major pillars of Islam, and those who are wealthy enough, for them it is mandatory to give Zakat.
In Islam, Zakat is the fourth pillar. Zakat refers to purification in general and purification of wealth in particular, therefore, those Muslims who have wealth over a certain ratio, they are liable to pay Zakat on it and give it to those who are less fortunate and don’t have sufficient means to live their life in a standard way.
People Who Can Be Given Zakat:
In Quran, Allah Almighty says:
اِنَّمَا الصَّدَقٰتُ لِلۡفُقَرَآءِ وَالۡمَسٰكِيۡنِ وَالۡعٰمِلِيۡنَ عَلَيۡهَا وَالۡمُؤَلَّـفَةِ قُلُوۡبُهُمۡ وَفِى الرِّقَابِ وَالۡغٰرِمِيۡنَ وَفِىۡ سَبِيۡلِ اللّٰهِ وَابۡنِ السَّبِيۡلِؕ فَرِيۡضَةً مِّنَ اللّٰهِؕ وَاللّٰهُ عَلِيۡمٌ حَكِيۡمٌ
“The alms are only for the Fuqara (the poor), and Al-Masakin (the needy) and those employed to collect (the funds); and to attract the hearts of those who have been inclined (towards Islam); and to free captives; and for those in debt; and for Allah’s cause, and for the wayfarer (a traveler who is cut off from everything); a duty imposed by Allah. And Allah is All-Knower, All-Wise.” (9:60)
From this ayah of Quran, the following people who deserve Zakat can be extracted:
1. The Poor – These are the people who don’t have means to live their life properly and live below the line of poverty.
2. The Needy – These people are also poor, however, because of their pride and bashfulness they don’t expose their poverty.
3. The Collectors – These are the people who are given the duty of collection of Zakat from other people, however, they themselves cant afford to live a normal life.
4. The New Converts – People who convert to Islam are also eligible as Zakat recipients as with their conversion to Islam they need assistance and help for a new start in life.
5. To Free Slaves – The money of Zakat can also be spent on freeing the slaves as well.
6. To Help Someone Pay Debt – Those who are in debt and cant afford to pay it off on their own are also eligible for Zakat.
7. In Cause Of Allah – Zakat can also be given to people who strive in the way of Allah, especially in the form of fighting the usurpers.
8. For Travelers – Zakat can also be given to the travelers and wayfarers as they might need the money when it comes to travel arrangements.